You Are Reading

Radio Rocks!

Have you watch 'The Boat That Rocked' yet? If you haven't, I recommend you to watch it for 3 definite reasons:

1- Awesome soundtracks - Brits music rocks!
2- Midnight Mark is major cute
3- Lovely lovely 60's setting



This movie is based on a popular pirate radio ship in the 60s called Radio Caroline that broadcast from a ship to UK. The only thing I hate about the movie is that they didn't include The Beatles's tracks though 1960s is the famous band's unmistakable prime year. How could they not when other famous rock&roll songs are innit? Royalty issues? Grr. My favorite of all time is of course 'All Day And All of The Night' by The Kinks and 'Crimson And Clover' by Tommy James & The Shondells
. The rest of the featured ones include songs by The Turtles, Procol Harum, Cat Stevens, Jimi Hendrix, Dusty Springfield, The Who and even David Bowie. Unfortunately, Aaron Neville's 'Tell It Like It Is' wasn't in the official OST though it was played in one of the scenes with Midnight Mark. How cruel.

All in all, an enjoyable cruise but don't expect much of it.

I've always consider myself as a radio person. If you hand me a survey stating 'List down 3 famous TV shows of all time', I know jackshit of what to write. I grew up listening to keronchong from my late dad's old radio. Its one of the most magical music I've ever heard my whole life. A Johorian's trait? Perhaps so. 


Approaching my teenage years, I began to listen to my Sony walkman practically every second and every friggin' minute of the day. Piles and piles of music tapes was kept well-hidden under my bed away from prying eyes. Every other day I would drop by at my babysitter's house and watched her husband whom I called Abah, played the accordion.

I survived my childhood without the idiot box.

I don't know whats gonna happen back then if I have to live without the ghetto blaster
. It was even my best friend and I auto routine, to turn the dial on every time we went into her room or while in the car. Always the first thing we would do before anything else. ALWAYS. We would bicker on which radio station to listen to; apparently the driver always get to choose. Remembered how a few of my friends and I would giddily lined up - I kid you not; at our school's public phone to call Hitz FM just to say 'No 2 belongs to Brandy 'The Boy Is Mine' live on air with John Boy! Imagine! Such are radio to some of us back then: huge and nothing short of humongous.

So when my strategist, the Tuan Berhormat Yang Dikasihi told me that I'm gonna write a radio script; you can imagine how excited I was! And today I went to a studio in Taman Tun to do the recording. Quite interesting to watch how the professional voice talents do their job - some did it coolly while another talent was so animated with the hand waving in the air and whole expression on his face. In 4 hours time, they wrapped it up and handed us a CD containing two commercial ads in English and Chinese.

I must say, the script was far from what I had in mind but for a safe choice, the ad might work well.

Comments for this entry

 

Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.

RSS Feed. This blog is proudly powered by Blogger and uses Modern Clix, a theme by Rodrigo Galindez. Modern Clix blogger template by Introblogger.